 Administrative / General / 2285
Re: Faster-loading pages for super-long threads
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 20:12:02 GMT

[...]  Not only is this a complete waste of bandwidth on each page display,
but unless you have a very fast CPU, it can take several seconds for your
browser to format and display the page after receiving it. [...]

To fix this, I'm shoving the "connect the dots" visual-tree-graph off of the
article-display page when the thread grows super-large. [...]

Thank you Todd, you have done us all a great service. Several seconds, indeed.
My browser took 24 seconds to format that thread tree, and that's on a Pentium
233. I won't even attempt it on my slower machines.

- Robert Munafo