 Administrative / General / 2278
  Faster-loading pages for super-long threads

Small changepoint in the way messages are displayed on the web interface: There's a thread going now that's nearly 400 messages long (yes, really!) and this is fine, but it makes for some really unpleasantly plump "connect the dots" thread displays (...) (25 years ago, 23-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.announce)

  Re: Faster-loading pages for super-long threads

(...) What about making the display show only the nearest n messages, with an option to expand the whole thing? (25 years ago, 23-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Faster-loading pages for super-long threads

(...) Like trn does? That would be pure thread-graph heaven. :) Let's see...it would still need to iterate over nearly the whole tree in some cases, but smartly clip/crop it down to a local region as it considers which nodes to include or exclude. (...) (25 years ago, 23-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Faster-loading pages for super-long threads

(...) Thank you Todd, you have done us all a great service. Several seconds, indeed. My browser took 24 seconds to format that thread tree, and that's on a Pentium 233. I won't even attempt it on my slower machines. - Robert Munafo (25 years ago, 23-Jul-99, to lugnet.admin.general)