 Administrative / General / 2267
Re: Longest thread candidate? (Was: What happened?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 18:46:07 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Hey, Todd, view this message in the Web interface and check out those
little blue squares at the bottom.  I'm assuming that one could count
those blue squares and come up with the number of unique messages in
this thread, regardless of ng, right?
Well, you don't actually have to count them; it says how many there are
right above them.  :-)

'Scuse me while I bang my head against my monitor...

(I should probably be chopping automatic thread display
and putting it on a separate page once the thread grows above a certain
size.  Really large threads, even with the HTML whitespace compactification
tricks being used, are rat's-nests for older browsers or browsers running on
low memory.)

That sounds good.  Sometimes that tree display can take a while to load
(sometimes).

BTW, I just noticed that LUGNET messages aren't very pretty then viewed with
Lynx in an 80-column window.  It's mainly just a lot of premature line-wrap
in the message text.  I suspect that there's not much to be done in this
case; the messages are posted at something close to 80 columns anyway, and
with what little padding happens at the left and right edges, premature
line-wrap may be unavoidable.

Cheers,
- jsproat

--