 Administrative / General / 2086
Re: member id's: simple numbers or something more?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 4 Jul 1999 21:23:17 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, "charles seyferth" <feanor23x@geocities.com>
writes:
Did I really need to quote?  I'm sure most everyone knows what's going on.
Anyway, here's a possible sollution that I'm keen on (please hear the newbie
out....)

Naw, in this case, quoting probably doesn't add much, because you're posting
something almost totally new.

I sign up for a membership and, since the system advances member numbers
numerically(?!?), I get stuck with #612.  Nothing too exciting, but there's
nothing I can do about it.  It's there for life.  However, the system (hereby
refered to as LUGNET) also knows me by my real name (Charles Seyferth, or
possibly charles.seyferth), which I also cannot change.  The system also knows
me as "Feanor23x", a name that nobody has taken offence to.  I can change this
later on, since LUGNET will acknowledge me by my unique user ID (612) and real
name.  If enough people are offended by my nickname, I'l be forced to change
it.  Now, when I want to log in as a member, I've got 3 options:

612
charles seyferth (or charles.seyferth)
feanor23x

This way there is some flexibility, while still mainatining a sense of order
and continuity

Well, the member-ID's are unique -mainly- for URLs on the outside, but also
for system-database purposes on the inside.  In the URL sense, there's no
sense in having 2 or 3 or more ID's per person -- only one per person --
otherwise URLs are no longer unique and that messes up link coloring in
browsers, among other things.

You also really won't ever have to "log in" anytime -- unless you choose to
disable cookies in your web browser, or if two or more people share a
machine or a profile, or if you log in temporarily from a public place such
as a library.

As far as visability of the member-ID's, it's a goal to make them as
unobtrusive as possible...although there's no way to escape their appearance
in URLs of member pages.  The member-ID's have no relation whatsoever to
news articles, except that the member-ID will probably be added
automatically by the system to the headers of any new news message, just
like it currently adds the X-Real-Life-Name header to each post.  So the
member-ID (if you don't like it) isn't something that you're stuck with
during day-to-day communications...only in URLs of on-site member pages.

People wouldn't walk around going, "Pleased to meet you, two seventy-five.
I'm six twelve."  You'd still say, "Hi, I'm Charles," or "Hi, I'm feanor23x"
in day-to-day communications.

--Todd