 Administrative / General / 2084
Re: member id's: simple numbers or something more?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 4 Jul 1999 21:02:17 GMT

Did I really need to quote?  I'm sure most everyone knows what's going on.
Anyway, here's a possible sollution that I'm keen on (please hear the newbie
out....)

I sign up for a membership and, since the system advances member numbers
numerically(?!?), I get stuck with #612.  Nothing too exciting, but there's
nothing I can do about it.  It's there for life.  However, the system (hereby
refered to as LUGNET) also knows me by my real name (Charles Seyferth, or
possibly charles.seyferth), which I also cannot change.  The system also knows
me as "Feanor23x", a name that nobody has taken offence to.  I can change this
later on, since LUGNET will acknowledge me by my unique user ID (612) and real
name.  If enough people are offended by my nickname, I'l be forced to change
it.  Now, when I want to log in as a member, I've got 3 options:

612
charles seyferth (or charles.seyferth)
feanor23x

This way there is some flexibility, while still mainatining a sense of order
and continuity