 Administrative / General / 2071
Re: member id's: simple numbers or something more?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 4 Jul 1999 18:08:38 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, "Ed Jones" <edboxer@aol.com> writes:
But since you brought up AOL usernames - AOL allows the cability of 5 different
screen names for the same account.  This allows familys to have a name for each
memebr of a family.  Not to throw too big of a monkey wrench but someone like
William Swan and his son - would they have to get two memberships or could they
get two names registered under one membership?

One and exactly one ID per person is the foundation principle.  I suppose
there could be such a thing as family or group discounts, but each person
has to receive their own membership.  The membership is what handles data on
a person-by-person basis.

At the ad-hoc alpha-numeric extreme (i.e., AOL), there is sometimes a
decent hint at who someone is by their username/handle, but really only
if they have chosen to use their real name, or if they have used a
reasonable nickname that makes any sense.  AOL-style names are surely more
difficult to forget than numbers, but they are hideously prone to
garbaging-up.

But AOL umpteen kabillion members.  I don't think there would be much conflict
for msot names.  Of course there will be some.

Well, AOL names are prone to garbaging up not only because of collisions
(jim21, jim22, jim23, etc.) but because of the overkill in expressiveness
which long alphanumeric character strings provide.

If you are going to go with usernames, I think you would have to have a 24-48
hour turnaround for username approval.  That is the only way you are going to
be able to guarantee that the garbage/filth doesn't slip through.  I use to
work for the Jockey Club - the thoroughbred horse registry for North America.
We had a piece of software that was supposed to eliminate garbage/filth.
Unfortunately, it allowed several to slip through:  Fa Q; Mort Its; None Hung
Low (it was gelding).

Awesome!  Those are great examples!  :)  Exactly -- people are infinitely
more creative than computers.  There's no way a computer could find and
filter out every single potential problem.  (Well, at least not in the next
10+ years.)

But didn't you run into potential censorship issues?  Or did your rules
state that the names had to fit some defined set of object rules or
somesuch?

If you go with usernames, you are really need to decide if you really want to
take the time and effort to police those name.

No, it doesn't make sense to police the names after the fact -- only before.
Filtering out garbage/filth by hand at sign-up time isn't a big deal
time-wise, but it could be a big deal socio-psychologically in some cases,
as it is subjective.  So I am looking for something that's objective but
still doesn't allow garbage/filth.

Well, the name issue is already controlled by registering for LUGNET
News/Discussion Groups set-up - you have to use your real name.  I can't
post as Ed Boxer here now, although I certainly wish I could.  Allowing
people to use their RTL aliases would create a whole other dilemna -
registering aliases for News/Discussion groups.

You can certainly post as Ed Boxer -- as long as your real-life-name field
still shows up in the news posts as your real name, Ed Jones.  Or you could
even set your real-life-name to say Ed "Boxer" Jones and use Ed Boxer in
your 'From' lines.  If you know how to change your newsreader's name
settings, I can walk you through the setup on the server side.

The only thing you can't do is say that Ed Boxer is a real person who is
different from Ed Jones (unless Boxer is part of your legal name).

For example, you are current submitting posts as:

   From: "Ed Jones" <edboxer@aol.com>

and the server adds:

to the headers of your posts.

But if you wanted, you could submit posts as:

   From: "Ed Boxer" <edboxer@aol.com>

and the server would still simply add:

to your posts.  That maintains the association between Ed Boxer (your
alter-ego) and Ed Jones (your real name), but it downplays your real name
somewhat.

--Todd