 Administrative / General / 2041
Re: Allocation of member #'s
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 3 Jul 1999 04:13:54 GMT

On Sat, 3 Jul 1999 00:19:49 GMT, "Christopher L. Weeks"
<c576653@cclabs.missouri.edu> wrote:

Todd Lehman wrote:

Does that sound like the fairest way?

--Todd

Why are lowest numbers tied to history on the on-line LEGO community
anyway?  I mean why RTL, ATL?  I think of LUGNET as a phoenix of sorts,
with a fresh new beginning.  Why not just assign them serially to people
important to LUGNET and forget about the olden days of ATL?  You and the
people who help out should get numbers, then maybe major posters in the
newsgroups - from the past year (like the top 20% of posters or
something), and then
members as people sign up.

Or an auction is a cool idea too.

Why not just make this whole thing moot and just assign numbers in a random or
pseudo-random lottery?  Have each person apply for a number, and have a server
doohicky spit out a random number from an available pool.

I think we're attaching far too much importance to these numbers.

-- Terry K --