 Administrative / General / 2040
Re: Allocation of member #'s
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 3 Jul 1999 03:18:35 GMT

(Todd Lehman) wrote:

Having
unique ID#'s are (from the system's point of view) actually mostly for
internal database purposes and URL purposes.. • <snip>
BTW, the hyperlink will show their name and not
their number.  And then from their page, you can visit and learn all that
you want to know (from what they have chosen to tell about themselves).

I have several suggestions:

1) Why not just make the numbers internal to the system so that we
never see them.  That way we could all be given any old number and the
part that we would see would be a username of some sort.  I'm sure
that systems like ebay have numbers, but heck if I know what my number
is because I just use my username.

2) Assuming we do usernames, it won't really matter how the numbers
are assigned.  You could just start from 1 (or zero),  announce "we're
starting to take memberships" and give the numbers in order to whoever
gets there first.  Of course Todd gets #1 since he's doing the setup
and will logically add himself first.  Oh, and Todd, no matter how
it's done, if you don't want #1 I think you've been out voted. ;)

3) Having said all of that, I want number 27 if it's all the same to
everyone.

Ben Roller