 Administrative / General / 2035
Re: Allocation of member #'s
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 3 Jul 1999 00:36:27 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Ed Jones writes:
[interesting ideas snipped]

[...] And if someone already had a number, consider letting them change
their number to the CLSotW number.

Heh heh, whoops, I guess I didn't make the uniquess aspect clear.  :-)
There aren't any circumstances[1] where someone would ever be able to
change their number, once they've chosen it.  The whole point of making
unique #'s in the first place is that they're permanent, one per person.
Kind of like social security or driver's license numbers, only I think I
may have hear rumors at one time that because of some computer glitch,
SS#'s aren't unique in 100% of the cases (but it was always inteded that
they be unique).

--Todd

[1] Except maybe if someone is part of a witness protection program and is
assigned a new identity by the government.  But then in that case, they could
never say, so the old "them" would actually be dead and the new "them" would
actually be a new person, philosophically speaking.