 Administrative / General / 1893
Re: True Geekness
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 21:14:34 GMT

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999 19:12:51 GMT, "Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Ed Jones writes:
In that
blank space, it would be great to have the message thread flowgraph that
now appears a the bottom of the message so you could see where the message
was in the rank of things while you were reading it.

That would rock, but there's no way to tell the width that the message will
end up on the user's screen, especially with the other stuff added.  People
hate scrolling horizonally much more than they hate scrolling vertically.
(At least this is what people who filled out the survey a while back said,
and it also stands to reason.)

Slight clarification here (I'm sure I'm one of the people who said they
didn't like to scroll horizontally): I don't like horizontal scrolling,
when it was a design choice of the site developer(s).  If the data is
visually structured, and it happens that the logical structure requires
horizontal scrolling, that wouldn't be *quite* so bad.

Probably better to leave this as an optional, configurable feature for the
future.

But the underlying HTML/etc has been made a bit in mind with the possibility
of including things in frames (optionally).  Just a possibility.

I was just thinking that it would be very *good* use of frames, to show
lugnet just like Free Agent looks, with a list of newsgroups, a threaded
list of messages, and the current message.  Especially if clicking Reply
could jump to a stand-alone page, and clicking submit on the reply page
took me back to the message being replied to.  Just a thought.

Steve