 Administrative / General / 1859
Re: 2 Things...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 20:23:15 GMT

On Tue, 22 Jun 1999 19:14:42 GMT, "Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:

Would it be better if the first

  More:  All | Brief | Compact

link on each group page repeated the 4 shown messages when you clicked it?
In other words, if the last article is #100, and you click the "Compact"
view, would you rather see articles #100-#81 even though the "Brief" forms
of #100-#97 have already been just shown?

General idea for the summary pages:  There should be four links, not three.
All, Brief, and Compact should change the way the current list-o-messages
is shown, not go on to the next set of messages.  Then there should be More
(or Next and Previous) links to advance through the list-pages.

It was frustrating to not be able to modify the view of the current data,
without going to different data, and then back.

OTOH, I think the new format *looks* much better.  Very clean, very
professional.  Nice work.

Thanks.  The old stuff was just a hack thrown together, which just sort of
happened to work.  This was thought out.  I'm glad that the main problems
are only cosmetic.

The new view is somewhat busy for my taste.  But I typically use a
newsreader, not the web interface.

Other stuff:

- The 'brief' display format is somewhat confusing.  I think I would have
swapped the location of the newsgroup and the author.  Also, I find myself
clicking the newsgroup link (when I'm trying to access the message),
because it's the only visible (ie, underlined) link.  I like the fact that
it is consistent from page to page.

- On the message pages, having options at both the top and bottom of the
page is confusing.  They should be all in one place, or maybe repeated
(that would not be my preference).

- The actual message should go from margin to margin, instead of having a
limited width.  The limited width is both irritating (more scrolling) and
inconsistent (other elements on the page go from margin to margin).

- Using the 'brief' format for the "message is in reply to" information is
consistent, but it is also distracting, because it looks like a divider
bar.  Actually, the "message is in reply to" part isn't really necessary --
that info is available through the thread-tree.

- On the message page, one way to display more info about other messages in
the thread would be to stuff the desired info in the ALT attribute for the
node IMG tags.  Or use DHTML to display message summary info when the mouse
flies over the message's node in the thread-tree.

- On the thread-view page, my preference is a lines-and-nodes look (like
the tree on the message page), not the bars-and-nodes look.

- Where's the link to the power-search page? ;)  Seriously, throw up (errr,
place) two links next to the search box: one for the Pause-search, one for
the newsgroup-search.

- It would be appropriate to have a link to the Traffic page on the navbar.

Steve