 Administrative / General / 1844
Re: Problems reading messages & with cookie
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 00:38:50 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Brian H. Nielsen writes:
I'm having 2 problems with the web interface to the LUGNET newsgroups using
Internet Explorer 3.03 and Windows 3.1:

1) When I try and follow a link to a specific message I get an error
message: "This program does not support the protocol for accessing
'display.cgi?lugnet.general:nnnn'", where nnnn is the message number I
tried to view.  The odd thing is that if I edit my URL link and update
that info onto the end of the newsgroup URL I'm able to read the message.
If I use the search function I am able to follow the links from that page
to the messages found. Any idea what the problem might be with the links
from the regular newsgroup message list?

Sounds like a bug in the Win3.1 version of MSIE.  The colon (:) in the URL
seems to be confusing the parser into thinking that part of the tail end of
the URL is the protocol portion of the URL (the part that usually begins with
http://, ftp://, news://, etc.).

I'm not sure that colon characters are 100% supported on all browsers, as
I've seen Lynx do funny things too.  The web interface won't always be using
the groupname:nnnn format in the URL, but in the meantime your only hope is
probably to upgrade to a newer version of your browser or OS.

2)  I go through the posting setup and see the accept cookie dialog box due
to my having my setup as "warn before accepting cookies".  I click YES to
accept the cookie, but it isn't being saved into my cookie file and I have
to re-enter my name & Email info when I post messages.  I have successfuly
accepted cookies from other sites in the past.  Any ideas?

Suggest upgrading browser and/or OS.

--Todd