 Administrative / General / 1565
Re: Terms and Conditions Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 5 May 1999 00:33:43 GMT

Carbon 60 <carbon60@bigfoot.com> wrote:
Mike Stanley wrote:
I would say that most (if not all) racist and sexist comments are
obscene, and maybe some of those other words as well.  Dunno about
homophobic stuff - I've never been afraid of men.

I can't believe you fell for that!  I hope that was sarcastic but I
can't tell - homophobic - hating + despising anything homosexual.

Mmmmmmm.... dunno that I "fell" for anything.  I'm pretty sure I
understood what the poster meant.

I'm not sure I was going for sarcasm, exactly.  More like light humor
for me.  I've never fully understood or accepted the popular meaning
of the term versus what I see as the literal meaning.

For my part, when I see "homo" I first think "man", not homosexual,
but that's the Latinist in me.  I can't remember a time when I've
actually said the word homo and meant anything other than the Latin
word for man (homo, hominis).  I've heard the word used as a slur
against homosexuals before, but it always sounded wrong, as most slurs
do, but also metrically.

Homophobic never quite worked for me to describe people who fit the
definition you give.  Bigoted seems much more accurate and,
deservedly, derogatory.

Wonder if this is fading into .off-topic.debate?

--
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - A great new resource for LEGO fans worldwide