 Administrative / General / 13887
Re: Technic sidebar thingie
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2007 21:58:49 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Chris Phillips wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.general, Ross Crawford wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.general, Chris Phillips wrote:

Ross, you seen bothered that some members have “shadow” admin ability without being explicitly named on the admin page. Does this bother you because you expect accountability from these people?

No, it bothers me because (as happened in this case) an email to the Lugnet admins does not reach ALL Lugnet admins, and one of the admins that was “out of the loop” reverted my changes.

It seems that NONE of the admins received your e-mail, because the implication I’ve been reading is that NONE of them would have told you to go ahead.

Well, that’s even worse, and should be fixed.

   But the point is, you shouldn’t need the admins to tell you when you are crossing that line, and if you can’t understand that, then you shouldn’t be a curator.

No, that’s a different point entirely.

   While not a problem in this case, I can see a potential for confusion and/or conflict in the future.

“Not a problem in this case?” Ha!

I don’t think anyone had a problem with Dave reverting the pics, do you?

   The non-Sophie pics were in place more than 48 hours before Bob posted about them. My email is clearly linked on the Technic sidebar. Not one person emailed me to request that I change the pics back, or even investigate what happened.

Just because nobody noticed the prank until Bob went trolling

At least one person did, and preferred to email the admins directly rather than the curator.

   does not change the facts of what you did.

Never said it did.

   Do you at this point see why your stunt set off a 160+ message debate?

No, Bob’s post started a 160+ message debate. If Bob had chosen to email me instead, or even if Eric had CCed me on his email, the pics would have been reverted, and nobody else would have noticed.

   Would you do it again? Can you acknowledge that you made a mistake?

The pics were changed to make a point. In the last 2 weeks, Eric has served at least 2 DMCA notifications (probably more) to ISPs about people using his copyrighted work on their sites. He seems to prefer to go directly to the legal threats, rather than asking nicely. I didn’t think he would do that regarding the images on the Technic sidebar, but you can never be sure with Eric. So I removed them. As it was only to make a point, I had resolved to put them back in a few days, but unfortunately Bob pointed them out before I was able to, sparking this thread.

No, it is unlikely I would ever do it again.

ROSCO

(FUT: .debate because the admins don’t need this cluttering up their group)