 Administrative / General / 13694
Re: Question on which newsgroups to use
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 3 Sep 2006 17:17:20 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Ben Fleskes wrote:

Previously, Big Ben Bricks LLC has posted new product announcements to .trains
or other lugnet newsgroups depending on the product.  However, It seems like
some people have been getting in 'trouble' for announcing mocs and other things
for sale  in anyplace other then .marketplace.

According to .trains:

lugnet.trains– Train mania: products (information, opinions, reviews, etc.);
building (settings, contexts, characters, projects, models and modeling,
layouts, plans, tools, tips, etc.); inspiration (ideas, movies, books,
literature, magazines, music, historical events, etc., as they relate to LEGO);
clubs/events; etc.

Which makes me wonder, is it even okay to post something about a new LEGO brand
train set for sale in .trains?

Moving on to my specific question. Big Ben Bricks LLC is releasing a new set - a
train handcar set for sale in limited quantities.  Should I only post to
.marketplace?

Thanks for any clarification anyone can provide.  I don't want to rub anybody
the wrong way.

Cheers,

Ben F

Hi Ben,

As one of the teller-offerers I've been working on the principal that if there
is new information (as in your case) then it is OK to post to both .trains and
.marketplace but you should set the followup to marketplace.

I base this on the idea that something new is both a trains announcement as well
as a sale ad and should be allowed into both. So advertising a new MOC or custom
part/mod for sale is OK but advertising a previously seen product is not. As
such I believe yours could be posted in both as you are selling a new creation.

I actually stole this idea from John Neal a while back (I may have accidentally
modified it a little) because I liked the balance of it and it seemed a good way
to avoid the risk of turning a building newsgroup into a sales forum whilst also
allowing people to show off their new things without having to pointlessly make
two posts.

Tim

PS. So far the balance in .trains has been absolutely fine but the reason I
started commenting is to head off the risk of someone flooding the newsgroup
with sales ads and being able to point and say "such-and-such was allowed to do
it so why can't I". It hasn't happened yet but there is always the risk so I
feel it's safest not to set a precedent.