 Administrative / General / 13519
Re: The Move Is On...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2006 20:16:36 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Gereon Stein wrote:
   Hi all,

I think it is time to let all of you know that LUGNET will switch servers - as some delinquent computer firm liked to put it - “real soon now”.

We are currently sorting out the domain re-routing procedure, but after that it is anticipated that the switch will happen this weekend (if all goes as expected) or early next week. This is real. It is happening.

With this switch, there may be some irregularities when it comes to NNTP access, posting or news-to-mail subscriptions. We had one of these last week, and although I am trying to prevent subsequent glitches from happening, I cannot rule it out completely, so please bear with us if you find you receive duplicate mails.

No postings, contents or whatever should get lost in the process. We have done a complete image of the old machine and will do continuous differential copies to the new machine until go-live. If after the (separately announced) switch date you should find you cannot access the NNTP server or post through the web, you will most certainly still hit the old machine (which we are not yet taking off-line). In order to make sure you realize seeing the new server, it will say so (“NEW SERVER”) in the title bar of your browsers. We have already taken precautions to make sure you will find the new machine as quickly as technically feasible, with the actual switch happening when most of you hopefully won’t notice anyway (i.e. night-time U.S. ;) )

If after the switch you encounter issues that we were unaware of (despite thorough testing this can’t be ruled out completely), you are encouraged to let us know by email (where “us” basically will be “me” as I will have to sort out technical issues on the new machine - I’m happy to say that the “makers” of LUGNET have been and will be helpful in the process).

Just btw., I am only the “technical guy”, so administrative questions are being sorted out between the “old” LUGNET people and René - I am sure you will find all questions in this regard answered very soon.

We have tried to prepare everything possible to make this a smooth transition. If something does not work as expected, we will fix it. In the meantime, thanks a lot for your patience and feedback.

Jerry

Thank you for all your hard work, Jerry.

Marc Nelson Jr.

Marc’s Creations