 Administrative / General / 13496
Re: Favicon not displaying?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2006 11:36:53 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Dan Boger wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Ross Crawford wrote:
I've noticed the last few days, when viewing Lugnet posts in my browser, it no
longer displays the Lugnet logo favicon like it used to. Then I noticed the main
page still works. And while posting this I noticed the posting page works. On
close inspection, it appears the only pages that don't work are news.lugnet.com
pages. Maybe the favicon disappeared from there or something?

Seems to work for me using FF/Linux...  But when I tried it in IE/XP, the icon
didn't show up.  I've never used this browser for LUGNET before, so I don't know
if it used to work...

Maybe FF has cached it? Try after clearing the cache. I was using FF/XP, but it
doesnt work on IE/XP for me either.

http://news.lugnet.com/favicon.ico is still there, so AFAICT it should still
work.  Anyone know of anything else that needs to happen?

Not AFAIK. Unless it got corrupted or something? You can also specify it in the
header IIRC, but that's probably more trouble than it's worth.

ROSCO

My understanding is that IE in Windows will display the favicon only if the site
is bookmarked, and then the display is in the Favorites list, not the URL
field... the mere presence of the file as identified by Dan allows user agents
that simply look for it like Firefox and Camino and Safari and Opera to display
it (in the location bar), so it seems like the problem might have been with your
configuration or something, Ross...

Well, it's a little weird actually - I checked my cache, and
http://news.lugnet.com/favicon.ico was there, so I navigated to the URL (and it
displayed fine, including the icon in the address bar), and hit shift-refresh
for good measure, but it still wouldn't display on news.lugnet.com pages, even
if I bookmarked it. So I cleared my cache, and did shift-refresh, and now it
does display. I guess my cache copy got screwed up somehow, and shift-refresh
wasn't enough to fix it.

ROSCO

I've noticed that there is a bug in the way FF deals with favicons. Not sure
what effect it his generally but they can get completely messed up in the
bookmarks. eg. for me the DailyWTF has the ABC Tv logo but ABC has nothing. It
could all be related to this or maybe not at all ;)

Tim