 Administrative / General / 13468
Re: contacting me via e-mail
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2006 18:28:50 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Kevin Wilson wrote:
Last night I found out that the forwarding was broken for a long time yet
no one
had told me. With help from Dan Boger, I began going through a backlog of
old
LUGNET e-mail retrieved from the server that didn't get forwarded. There
were 24
messages to suz(at)lugnet.com. One was from Rene, some were from NELUG, a
few
were spam, one was from LEGO. But there are something like 900,000
messages

LUGNET email generally seems to have been broken for a while, including the
method to validate messages via email:
http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=13325 1 March 2006
http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=13314 17 Feb 2006
http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=13301  30 Jan 2006

so maybe some of those 900,000 are connected with that.

That's exactly right.

I also wonder if that problem has contributed to the posting slowdown -
previous experience with NNTP outages showed that there are/were a large
number of people who post via NNTP, and if many of those gave up trying to
post because email confirmation wasn't working, that would make a big
difference in the posting rate.

Sure, yeah. [nodding] And that's -horrible- if you ask me! Esp with the
potential for robotics discussion coming up with the release of the NXT sets.

I'm going to open a ticket with Pair Networks' support staff today and try to
get to the bottom of it. The problems all began with a drive crash. I'm afraid
they didn't restore things exactly as they were.

-Suz