 Administrative / General / 13456
Re: Lugnet: WAKE UP!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2006 05:00:13 GMT

A community explodes and implodes all at once.

Hi, my name is Devin Michel. I’ve been with this gig for 5 going on six years. I’m a lurker. I feed without mercy on the achievements of such larger that life names as Palmer, Soren, Clague, Sophie and Dorst. I onpened my mouth only a few times in my stay here. Once to ask about the mechanics of a shrimp rover. Once to submit an entry to the first bot contest. Once to ask Clague about a project. A few times in space, and one last time; a time I thought I would never have to repeat living.

It was sad a stupid. I made a dumb, useless thread. I got pissy. Yelled at a few people, got yelled back at and stormed off. Was it my battle? No.

It was something like this very thread. I noticed the downward trend of .space into meaningless argument that detracted form the network’s goal and finally lifted my voice. Of course I was shot down. I said I was leaving and was told not to have the door bump my ass on the way out. Was that wrong? Hell no.

It wasn’t my battle. It was hardly anybody’s. Those of you who might remember any of that might remember the incident in question was a closed argument that was vehemently trying to be resolved.

Now, though, things are different. Jon addressed lugnet as a whole for a reason. It’s now everyone’s problem. We all know it, so let’s take that fact for granted. It’s evryone’s problem, it really is. Deal with it.

Everyone can point the finger. Traveling through this complex thread I found Larry pointing out Eric’s and even a general community’s error right before Ross pointed out Larry’s errors and then I said, “I need to know I’ve got better things to do...” I did. This post. I’m not going to point a finger. I don’t have one for all of those at fault, not even utilizing my toes. And besides, I’d have to point a finger at myself and that’s the hardest thing to do. It’s as much my fault as it is Eric’s, as it is Suzzane’s as it is some radom user who stumbled into this mess.

Quickly, I’d like to condone one action I took after my “pissy” thread...

I left.

I haven’t been here for a couple months now. Not solidly, anyway. I realized that if whining about how some other freak on the internet wants to spend his time publicizing an argument, then I am the one with the problem. I figured there were a thousand and one things I could do that would be a much better way to spend my time, not the least of which would be build some bots inspired by Jon Palmer, one of the Platinum 5 I mention above.

You guys have to realize, I was forced in the end to ignore you. Many of you. After one cursed me out on classic-space chat, another vegged for too long (no blaming, though), and another seemed to initiate this mess, I found myself willingly accepting the work as itself and ignore the makers. From Jaq to the great pirate fleets, I had to ignore you. Kevin never did anything bad, nor Leo, though both seemed to have slipped away as well.

Since that thread, I gained a forum that I moderate, nearly 1,600 strong. It’s been a learning experience. I’ll be the first to admit, forum politics sucks. I’d hate to be in Suzzane’s shoes right now. Mostly because I have abnormally big feet, but also because I couldn’t imagine dealing with a mess like this. And why is it here? Because you all got together and took several years to set up an avalanche of spite and anger that snowballed (digging the winter theme yet?) into the side of our cozy ski resort (yea, it’s been winter too long in ohio...). Do you realize that this might be your legacy if your not carful? A mess and a broken community? Do you want that? I sure don’t. I won’t leave without trying harder this time. This is my first effort to dig us out of the pit we’re in. No you tell me: If we’re in a hole (as this metaphore implies) how do you dig out of a hole? How does one dig up? I guess that’s the trouble with these situations, figuring out how to dig up...