 Administrative / General / 13131
Re: Completing the Lugnet Database....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 03:28:13 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
For what it is worth, I do hope that Lugnet maintains some sort of existence
into the future, including the Lugnet database.

In finishing up the final tidbits for my Lego CD I have been working on now for
nearly 3 years, I am just about to the point where I can account for all Lego
sets and parts since 1949.  I am hoping to share this info with Lugnet, Peeron
and Bricklink within the next 6 months.  I am hoping to have Clark Stephens
(Lugnet and Peeron DB Admin) on board for this endeavor.  I have been showing
him and a few others some of the "Lego Mayhem" from the 1950's and 1960's in
Lego sets and parts.  Some items have alpha part numbers, others come in up to
12 language versions.  And a few items don't exist at all (except in catalog
pictures), not even in the Billund Vault.

So I was hoping that Lugnet-Peeron-Bricklink become the central repository for
all Lego knowledge in the known universe..... :-)

All kidding aside, I hope that things work out well for the future of Lugnet to
everyones advantage!

Gary Istok

(^_^) I can't tell you how excited the thought of this makes me. The LUGNET DB
has always been my fav online project. I love working on it, and ever since the
LouZ's Pause pages, I've loved browsing through old LEGO sets!

[BTW, the LUGNET DB is not in any danger of going away. It never was. Someone
recently expressed confusion on that, and so I hope that's clear now.]

Back in the spring, the Bogers, DaveE and I talked about rebuilding the LUGNET
database. I almost rebuilt it myself in MySQL about a year and a half ago, but
wimped out in favor of other projects. But back then, I did drawings of what
some data entry forms might look like on screen. Those were indicative of the
wealth of potential data and how using things like form fields could help avoid
errors. When the bunch of us looked at the drawings, it seemed quite do-able.
Unfortunately, it got put on hold, partly because of my being so busy with these
LUGNET issues of late.

For a long (loooong) time now, I've wanted to see many of our projects, like
LUGNET, Peeron, BrickLink, BrickSet, Minimundo, et.al., have closer cohesion for
users via a new and more detailed interface. Users could, for instance, see a
set's piece-count as stated at various sites displayed in one field of view.
Imagine how cool it would be to have an inset thumbnail gallery of everyone's
pictures of the same set. We could avoid redundancy that way and spot holes to
fill. LUGNET alone has many additional shots of sets which are not viewable
through the current page display (i.e., box shots, catalog scans from diff
nations, multiple official set-up shots by TLC, parts spreads, instruct front
pages, etc). Hoh, now we could even add 3-D set viewing!

I'd also like it to be simpler for people to note corrections effectively and
contribute additional information (not so simple that mistakes become abundant,
but certainly easier than it is now for the LUGNET DB.) Some of us (I, for one),
have been sitting on more data than we've ever had time to enter. It would be
great if the small efforts of many people would combine toward a more "Complete"
LUGNET Database.

(^_^)

looking forward to talking about it more.

-Suz

mental note: the Fibblesnork LEGO Guide had some interesting data features
including pixel graphs of set availability over time, and displayed ratings of
alternate models. Nowadays, all those box-backs really ought to be online. It'd
be really nice to work in AFOLs' alternate models of sets too...