 Administrative / General / 1301
Re: A tiresome tirade (Was: garbage output)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 06:06:34 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley) writes:
Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, jsproat@geocities.com (Sproaticus) writes:
Events in the past few months has led up to the point where several
typically cool-headed individuals have blown their tops.

I don't know about the others, but I made it a logical decision to
blow my top.  It wasn't accidental.

I blew my top after carefully thinking about it and noting that others
seemed to be unwilling or too nice to blow theirs.

And the nice thing about blowing one's top voluntarily is being able to
choose an appropriate heat level.  Mild, medium, hot, and fire-hot are a
better set of choices than on/off.  :-)

The e-mail I
received from several people after that agreeing with what I said
makes me think it was a Good Thing to do.

Ya think?  I'm crossing my fingers; I think only time will tell whether it
really was a Good Thing or not -- whether either of us has had a positive or
negative overall impact[1].  It's a risk, I think.  I think we can say for
sure that we said things that a lot of people wished someone would say -- so
that's a good sign, I suppose -- in a way, it was more like letting off
collective steam than flaming.

It's about a lot of things.  It's about fun, toys, colorful pictures,
all that, but it's also about hubris, sociology, psychology, work
ethics, camaraderie, competitiveness, community, and many other by-
products of a wide demographic.

Yep.  And it's also about a lot of people who have proven time and
time again that they are willing to give 110% of themselves and their
time to better the LDraw movement having to waste more and more of
their time catering to an arrogant little snip who, by his own
admission, does not possess the skills necessary to really be a parts
author.  And on top of that, they are being asked to waste their time
helping someone who doesn't seem to want to be helped, someone who
actually has the nerve to _demand_ things from those same people, the
nerve to whine about Kevin Loch's instruction scan site not filling
all of HIS needs because of what JW feels is a "silly rule".

This isn't about an otherwise perfectly nice incompetent parts author
who is just asking for a little help.

"You go, girl!"

--Todd

[1] I mean *overall* impact here.  Negative impact to JW is OK (albeit
unfortunate) IMHO if the result of that negativity means a positive net
impact in the overall LD effort.