 Administrative / General / 12344
Re: Bye, bye LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 16:49:28 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Willy Tschager wrote:

all hell broke loose.

One message from Larry is "all hell"?  Tempest/teapot.  Mountain/molehill.

Though AFTER your post, a pale rider on a pale horse trotted by followed by with
his entourage, which I suppose qualifies.  :-)

In an ironic way someone could ague that the "way" it is done on lugnet is
indeed in no way a cencorship; it's much more sophisticated: it's the art of
auto-critics in a wonderfull george-orwell-style - get me brainwashed! I do not
wish to be associated with a community which hasn't the bravery to admit that
censorship is applied. I do not accept that a small group of admins has the
power to set moral standards, telling me right from wrong and at the same time
washing their hands clean. I do no longer agree with the LUGNET terms of use
http://www.lugnet.com/admin/terms/agreement and therefore I asked for the
removal of my membership page as well as the cancellation of the posting
privileges.

I must say that I regard the censorship policy as an excercise in "plausible
deniablity".  They don't censor the actual message, but they do apply total
censorship to future messages if you don't censor yourself retroactively.  It's
a semantics game.  Larry, Todd, and others may disagree with my view on that,
but it isn't something that I'm going to get that worked up over since the
agreement and consequences are spelled out regardless of the semantics (there is
room for disagreement without getting worked up over it).  The bottom line is,
if you can't control yourself after agreeing to the terms of service, what did
you expect?

It's time to say goodbye :'-( I had a terrific time on lugnet and enjoyed every
single moment.  My eternal gratitude goes to the code-wizards and part-authors
at lugnet/cad - thanks for all the wisdom and all the new things I learned from
you. Thank you also to my Italian friends at lugnet/org/it/itlug. I will all
miss you much,

Sorry to hear it, but at the same time I think you are shooting yourself in the
foot.  I've seen admins on other boards act the fool, and I don't think this was
the case.  My advice is just cancel the message and go back to having fun.  If
you have to let off some steam about what constitutes "censorship", I think that
is a healthy discussion.

-->Bruce<--