 Administrative / General / 12265
Re: Confusion updating email addresses
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 19:03:58 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jeremy H. Sproat wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Jeremy H. Sproat wrote:
For some reason, Lugnet isn't using my updated email address in
my new posts.
Because you hadn't yet went to the URL I pointed to, and/or no human had yet
approved it.
Reminder, this is it: http://news.lugnet.com/news/post/setup/ and you should
remember, there will be a lag, a human has to look at it and decide if it's
valid.

Larry, as I specified in my email to you, I updated my email address prior to
posting.  However, I did so via my profile page - it's been literally YEARS
since I've had to go through the post setup page.  IIRC, the last time I did so,
that page was in beta.

I suggest that this may be confusing to more than just myself.

I think you are right. I get it confused and the only way I keep it straight is
that I have put bookmarks in for all the key pages.

Neither page is
blindingly obvious.  Although the post setup page is linked to from the front
page, it's not obvious that it needs to be visited more than once.  I have
already set up my posting info, years and years ago.  On the other hand, my
profile page has been updated more often, based on my changing tastes.  That
page was more in recent memory, and that page has a place to update the email
address too.  In fact, it has two places.

So why do I need to update my email address in three places?  This bit of
confusion, coupled with the coldness I received for ducking in after years of
inactivity to say "hi", has left a bad impression with me.  Dark ages indeed.

Here's my point:  I updated my email address, using a resonable process.  That
the process was flawed is not my fault.  The actual process is not well
documented, and breaks easily when the profile page is introduced.

I see two fixes.

One, make it a little easier to find out how to change one's email address
within the system.  This is not a huge fix, just change some text on the news
page.  But saying "email an admin" kind of defeats the process (and is quite
annoying, since there are no email addresses published on the main page, or on
the .admin page.  And who's an admin anyhow?  Todd and Suz.  And Larry?

The current admins (and yes, this ought to be somewhere) are

Todd, Frank, Lenny, Larry, Kelly

Okay,
who else?  Where is this listed?)

I agree with the idea of making it easier to find out how to change posting
setup and with explaining what the difference between posting setup and member
information is, it's not too hard a fix since it's just changing page content.

Two, tie in the email fields on the profile page with the email field on the
posting setup page.  This one is more technical, and frankly, I doubt it'll
happen.

I'm not sure it's technically valid to do it this way, would have to encourage
those who know the code (I don't) to dig in deeper. But to the general point
about technical changes, it has been terrifically hard for some time to get
anything changed technically. I hope that will change in the near future, and I
have reason to believe that it might.