 Administrative / General / 12108
Re: stepping up to the dead horse (was some other title)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:44:22 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Dan Boger wrote:
On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 06:42:18PM +0000, Kelly J. McKiernan wrote:
We've discussed "public" vs "private" notification of timeouts. This
is a valid concern. Initially we decided upon private because a
timeout was a chance to give somebody a chance to reconsider an
offensive post or set of posts. It wasn't meant as public
chastisement.

I think having a public record of timeouts is important - not only it
allows the users (that you guys are serving, right?) keep an eye on how
well you're doing your job, but it also shows that _something_ is
getting done, and can be used to teach by example what's acceptable and
what's not.

Nothing really to add, but I agree with Dan. I'd want to see what the
administration has done-- mostly to try and gauge:
- how often are these things done?
- what sorts of things result in timeouts?
- has <person x> been timeoutted before? How often?

It also does have the effect of the person who's been timeoutted possibly being
embarrassed publically, but really, I think that's probably suitable punishment.
Plus, it seems that often, people who are banned/timeoutted (been called banned
in the past) actually want to PUBLICIZE the fact that they've been reprimanded
(sometimes for sympathy or sway).

But I guess in general I'm just all for freedom of information.

DaveE