 Administrative / General / 12096
Re: 2004 posting statistics (was Re: Posting statistics)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 12:42:50 GMT

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 05:10:07AM +0000, Todd Lehman wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Dan Boger wrote:
That's correct - each newsgroup is stored in a seperate file, so a
single message posted to multiple newsgroups will have multiple
copies, and will be counted multiple times.

There's a little trick I use a lot to weed out duplicates: If the
article being examined is in a group that's not the first one listed
in the |Newsgroups:| header, then ignore that article, because it'll
be examined in another directory. I'm pretty sure the first-annual
"noisemakers" posting used this method to enumerate the articles.

That's some pretty smart thinking.  Of course, now I'm tempted to just
throw the data into an SQL db...   Hmmm.

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com