 Administrative / General / 11991
Re: LUGNET server response code 0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 2004 12:28:58 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Paul Baulch wrote:
When I post replies (by web interface) I often find that the LUGNET server will
continually send 0 as a response until I restart my browser, or refresh the
original post's page - and then, with some luck it will accept the post. I
certainly don't have to re-follow the posting setup procedure to fix the problem
:-)

I don't know WHY but I do see this a fair bit. Often just before the server goes
into "server under heavy load, try again later" mode.

When it happens to me, rather than refreshing (and possibly losing my words of
wisdom unless I copied them into ultraedit first), I find that hitting preview
again resets the state enough that it will post.

LUGNET has a new server, new hardware generously bought with the donations of
loyal LUGNET readers. When that new server is installed, maybe this won't be
such a common occurrence.

So when are we getting this new server online? Well... it's held up.

The server install is held up waiting for a change in name servers. The
nameserver change is held up because there is a domain name ownership issue.
There is a domain name ownership issue because the registrar doesn't respond to
requests. The registrar doesn't respond to requests because the admin contact is
an email at fibblesnork.com. The admin contact doesn't receive email because
fibblesnork.com is owned by a squatter/porn funneller. It's owned by a squatter
because Todd let the registration for fibblesnork lapse many years ago and never
challenged it when the squatter picked it up.

So... don't let your domain registrations lapse!