 Administrative / General / 11986
Re: Spammer Using LUGNET?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 2004 07:08:26 GMT

"Janey Cook" <janeyofthejungle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:I84M6E.4AI@lugnet.com...
Cut and pasted..... with the addition of the word (SPAMO) added by me
three
times because I'm apparently paranoid.
I have no clue if it's a virus or not because I haven't tried to open or
download it, nor will I, since my virus protection program is archaic at
best,
and I'm realively clueless in such depts. All I know is each days it's a
new
unsolicited attachment.

Janey, I know it will be expensive for you to do so, but I would strongly
recommend you upgrade your antivirus program to something that is the latest
version, the reason being that some viruses may attempt to exploit known or
unknown email client weaknesses.  The latest versions of most antivirus
programs afford the best kind of protection against this kind of virus
threat, as they automatically intercept, scan, and clean incoming email for
you.

If you have the option of logging manually into your ISP's mail server and
deleting emails off it without downloading them, please be sure to do that
for anything with suspicious email attachments, if you're using the inbuilt
Windows email client, it would automatically download the email and any
virus attached to it to your hard drive, and if HTML is enabled, it may
attempt to use javascript exploits to run itself, in addition to other
weaknesses.

Also please make sure your Windows Update settings are the latest for your
OS version, and are up-to-date, although I would strongly recommend
upgrading to the Windows XP operating system if you don't already have it,
as this is currently supported by Microsoft.

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde