 Administrative / General / 11820
Re: Un-spotlight? (was: suspended Bricklink shops)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:25:00 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote:
In lugnet.general, Ross Crawford wrote:
In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney wrote:
In lugnet.general, Brendan Coughlin wrote:

Which gets me thinking, why not also have a "un-spotlight" function? Not to
remove a spot light I've previously set (which I can already do), but to
subtract from the spotlights of others (subtract 100 or whatever from its points
value). So if I think a news item that has made the top stories isn't all that
newsworthy, I can vote to remove it.

ROSCO

FUT: .admin.general

Hi Rosco,

I think this could end as a very bad idea which leads to a situation like
censorship. If a few people think a topic is important, then I want to have the
chance to get a hint to find this topic, even if some other people (in same
number, but with 100% differing opinions) are trying to keep the dirt under the
carpet...

I actually like to read critical opinions.

Ben -
I'm leaning more towards your views than Ross's. Ross's thoughts do have merit
though. What if users could de-spotlight posts for their own accounts, but not
globally? So, users have a choice to 'remove this post/all posts in this thread
from my top stories list.'

That way, people aren't shuffling critical opinions under the rug for everyone
else - let the individual decide.

-Tim