 Administrative / General / 11787
Re: Why do I not receive some confirmation e-mails?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 21:07:07 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jamie Obrien wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Mark Bellis wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Joel Hoornbeek wrote:
I'm hoping someone on the admin team can help me.  I have been trying all
morning to post a message to .space, but I have not yet received the
confirmation e-mail.  I posted a test message to .off-topic.test, and
received the e-mail almost instantly.  What's going on?
I've been posting via the web interface, although I'm attempting to send
this one via nntp.

-Joel

I'm having the same trouble - at least an hour between posting and receiving the
confirmation email.  It's a big nuisance when you're trying to keep up with a
discussion!

The confirmation emails (when they finally arrive) have the correct time of
posting, so is it anything to do with clock synchronisation due to daylight
saving time, or possibly a slow US to Europe gateway?

Mark

Hi, just to check, this could sound more like an ISP issue. Alot of ISP's are
doing massive amount of scanning and filtering of Email, thus delaying the
delivery of the email. Can you post your email headers, (mangel the IP's and
other details). Some ISPs also use 3rd party affiliates to scan the email, thus
further delaying the email. Under certain cirumstances, the email can even get
lost. (Though the email still exists on the ISP mailserver, without any
confirmation regarding the state of the email, the email is effectively lost).
During virus outbreaks, even with whitelist addresses, my ISP can be delayed for
up to 6 hours :-O

Look for a headers like:
anything which indicates some actions performed by your ISP.

Count yourself lucky, with the web posting, i barely receive 1 in 10
confirmations, and i can catch the email before it gets to my isp :(

I don't think the delay issue is anything more than congestion at one end or the
other, the non delivery of confirmation emails is different issue altogether.

jamie :(
(^O^) ~~ Morning Musume - Joshi Kashimashi Monogatari ~~

Looking at the headers, there's no indication of extra actions.

I notice that Lugnet's clock is 3 seconds slower than my ISP's clock!

The thing is, there hasn't always been a time delay - it seems to come in waves.
I used to get the emails within 5 minutes, or even as soon as the next web page
came up after posting.

The delay time appears to be random, not linked to either message length or time
of day.

I probably won't pick up the email for this message till tomorrow, since it's
now after 10pm here.

Mark