 Administrative / General / 1147
1146  |  1148
Subject:
[meta] mailing list & newsgroup
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 01:01:31 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Rob Doucette) writes:
What list??  I responded directly to a poster on lugnet.robotics.

Rob,
There is a mailing list (lego-robotics@crynwr.com) which is gatewayed with
the lugnet.robotics newsgroup.  Anything you post to lugnet.robotics shows
up on the mailing list, and vice-versa*.  The lego-robotics mailing list
has a distribution list of several hundred people and accounts for 50% of
the messages appearing in the lugnet.robotics newsgroup.

Since I
DID NOT have authority to post to news groups from this ISP at the time, I
didn't reply to the Lugnet news group (I also understand, very well, the
policy of no binaries on these news groups).

The poster of the message was listed as lego-robotics@crynwr.com.

This is how lugnet's mail-to-news gateway works for incoming mailing lists
-- in order that messages from all sources can pass through OK, the
gateway munges the 'From' header to a known and pre-approved common
address.  The poster's name is then included after the address in SMTP
header comments (parentheses).

Apparently the real sender was TripleHHHX@aol.com, whom I intended to send
the 4K zip file directly to.

The mail-to-news gateway script also copies the original 'From' header
into an 'Original-From' header and sets the 'Reply-To' header to the same
thing as well -- that way, even though the 'From' header has been munged,
you can still contact the actual poster.

I gather from your reply that lego-robotics@crynwr.com is the e-mail address
for a listserver, with which I am not familiar.

Here is Russell Nelson's homepage for the mailing list:

   http://www.crynwr.com/lego-robotics/

My question is: why (or maybe how) is a list server posting messages
to a news group??

'Why' is because it adds value to both sides to have the mailing list
united with the newsgroup, rather than having two totally separate forums.
The mailing list existed first, before the newsgroup; it would have been
unreasonable to ask existing mailing list subscribers to switch their
method of participation when the newsgroup was created; hence the gateway.

'How' is due to the fact that all lugnet newsgroups are subscribeable via
e-mail as if they were mailing lists.  The special news-by-mail address
lugnet.robotics@lugnet.com is simply subscribed to the lego-robotics
mailing list and vice-versa.

It only masks the originator of posts.

It does, yes, but not completely; the Reply-To and Original-From header
fields in the news articles do still contain the originator's e-mail
address, as described above.

--Todd

* Except for binaries and HTML/MIME messages, which are filtered out by
the news server.  (This is why the 500KB post last week to the mailing
list didn't appear in the newsgroup.)