 Administrative / General / 11463
Re: Taking LUGNET to the next level
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.org
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 13:00:27 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Todd Lehman wrote:
   The time has come to open up LUGNET and entrust it to the community.

Good Man! This is great news Todd.

   I want to take LUGNET through a two-part transition, essentially metamorphising it first from a monarchy into an oligarchy, and then from an oligarchy into the analagous online form of a representational democracy or a constitutional republic.

In the short term, this means that this week I’m assembling an ad hoc advisory committee. Those people are Steve Barile, Tim Courtney, Frank Filz, Suzanne Green, Christina Hitchcock, Kelly McKiernan, Matthew Miller, and Larry Pieniazek, and their job is to help me with the first step of the transition.

Great team! May I suggest you should consider asking one or two international representatives as well (unless Kelly is, because she (he?) apparently isn’t a Lugnet member and I have never met them)? I’m sure there are others out there who think Lugnet’s global reach is important and may be able to give a bit of insight in how to keep it and perhaps even improve it.

   Moving forward, I’d also like to see much closer relationships between LUGNET and other umbrella organizations such as ILTCO, SciBrick, FLL, etc., as well as community sites internationally such as 1000steine.de, and I can imagine there being representatives from each of these organizations to make sure their individual interests are kept in balance. Our community is finally large enough for this to make sense.

Excellent - (but this sounds like a few steps away - I would suggest international involvement earlier.)

   and I haven’t built a darn thing in over a year.

I hope the community can give you that time back. Not building with what one has is almost a crime in my eyes! ;)

Thanks again for all you do.

Psi