 Administrative / General / 11462
Re: New homepage for LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 12:15:24 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jindrich Kubec wrote:

   Trust me, the above statement is completly false. I think moderation is neccessary to avoid the link page from being overrun with ads for “free” medication and “foolproof” get rich quick schemes (among other things).

Orion, do you have any basis for making a blanket statement such as your first sentence? I’m not trying to defend or condemn anybody, but that’s bad logic to just say “trust me..” and not give any reason. Your next sentence provides a reason, but you preface it with “I think...”

   ? I’m for moderation. But everybody would be one. You’d vote for ‘offtopic’, I’d vote for ‘offtopic’, somebody else would do so... and voila, link is removed. The only problem remains in setting the good rules with good weights.

While I don’t think think community moderation would be totally bad, there is one thing I would like to point out about it that I think is a definite point against it. Suppose some spammer decides to submit a link for a pornography site. For the first few people that visit the site (whether they vote or not), they’re going to see some rubbish there. Now, suppose those first few people were all kids or parents with kids in the background? There’s no way I’d want to chance it. Even if I did vote against it, there would be no security in knowing that I could let my kid browse safely - because there would be absolutely no guarantee of what the kid would see!

With an admin/moderator system, however, this is eliminated. The only place the rubbish goes is in the trash bin, before it ever makes a public debut.

Now, that all said, I would pose a question: how many people do you think are really going to take the time to spam LUGNET with off-topic links? There are links pages all over the place (BrickLink, for example) that don’t get spammed.

-Mike