 Administrative / General / 11459
Re: New homepage for LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 00:19:33 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jindrich Kubec wrote:
Tim Courtney wrote:
I don't see how a bunch of people could make 'better' decisions than a few,
though I do see your point about it being faster.

In the clear cases, there is no argue that they could get as good
results as few admins.
In the 'grey' cases, the voting of more people can make the result to
represent the majority opinion, which may not be the case of few admins.

I'd rather see the link directory be well architected than reflect majority
opinion. This would require a few thoughtful, knowledgeable, and fair people to
give a little bit of time to maintaining it. This isn't voting on major policy
here, we don't need to defer to 'majority opinion' for every single decision.
Deciding how to present links hardly requires a democratic process at the
day-to-day operational level.

The Open Directory Project (www.dmoz.org) relies on 'editors,' volunteers who
are selected to manage the categories of links. There's an application and
approval process also. Even they don't allow everyone to have administrative
powers over the link directory.

Too many cooks in the pot isn't a good thing. It will create a mess. LUGNET
doesn't allow everyone to curate newsgroup web pages either.

-Tim