 Administrative / General / 11458
Re: New homepage for LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 2004 23:57:04 GMT

Tim Courtney wrote:
I don't see how a bunch of people could make 'better' decisions than a few,
though I do see your point about it being faster.

In the clear cases, there is no argue that they could get as good
results as few admins.
In the 'grey' cases, the voting of more people can make the result to
represent the majority opinion, which may not be the case of few admins.

And what about how to control people who want to come in and raise havoc by
deleting links maliciously?

It has to be an iterative mechanism, no individidual would have enough
power to do that.

Just because it hasn't happened, doesn't mean it couldn't happen or won't
happen. Historically, we've had a handful of people who have seriously abused
LUGNET. I do not want to give them the opportunity to set up a subdomain
redirect and malign it by appearing a part of the LUGNET domain.

If it could be set, it could be also removed.

This is the same solution, but it's _much_ easier to remember/use. (Of
course www.lugnet.com/redir/sitename would do, but it's longer,
www.lugnet.com/redir.pl?id=4095849534 is imo too cumbersome).

You win on that one :-)

Of course, I've just implemented such stuff recently on my webfarm ;-))

--
Jindroush Webfarmer <jindroush@nospam.seznam.nospam.cz>
Remove both 'nospam's from the address to reply.