 Administrative / General / 1141
Re: I'm not incuded in treads
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 02:42:16 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.admin.general, nzlijn@euronet.nl (Adviesbureau Noord/Zuidlijn)
writes:
Hello all,

I'm receiving lugnet.cad.dev in mail-form with Microsoft Outlook Express.
This works fine, and I'm also able to reply to the list when I use the Reply
to All option of this mail program. But I've noticed that when I reply, my
message is not taken up into a discussion tread. It is handled as a separate
new message instead.

Can I do something about this, or is it a disadvantage you have when using
mail-form ?

It sounds to me like yet another reason not to use MSOE.  :)

But maybe we can figure out what's happening.  Try this:  Pick some message
and reply to it using the Reply-to-All option as you normally do, but before
actually sending the reply, delete the To addresses and add lehman@javanet.com
instead.  That way, you'll be composing a reply but I'll be able to take a
look under the hood and see if the message contains the proper References or
In-Reply-To headers before it's converted to a news message.

Perhaps the required headers are not being properly converted by the mail-to-
news gateway, or perhaps MSOE is not including them as it is supposed to be.

--Todd

If they are using Outlook, then each individual who will need their own "cookie
set" will need a separate windows login.  A profile alone is not sufficient.
Windows messaging wants to save this data with the user who was logged in, not
just in a particular profile.  Further, Win95 must be set up to allow each user to
have their own desktop, etc (I'm not sure of the details behind doing this in
Windows 98, but I would assume it is still possible).  The separate desktop setup
is not a problem in NT, but is a pain in the *** in Win95.  Again, the key to it
all is have unique logins to Windows itself.

Of course, none of this is a problem at all if you are using Netscape as a
newsreader, because it manages profiles in its own completely independant way from
windows logins, be it Windows 9x *OR* Windows NT.

Mark