 Administrative / General / 11360
Re: New homepage for LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.de
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 11:12:19 GMT

René Hoffmeister wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Todd Lehman wrote:
Well, LUGNET was created to unite the LEGO community online, not to segment
it.  The current homepage feels rather isolationist.  How many clicks from
the homepage does it take you to find 1000steine.de?  How many clicks to
find BZPower?  Sites like these should be one or at most two clicks away.
I adopt this self-criticism for 1000steine.de. The problems are true and the
same on 1000steine.de, it's nice that you take it up.
How about an universal umbrella page which can be shared by all sites
involved?

A common logo (A Fabuland umbrella, perhaps?), available for all,
linking either to a central page or a current copy on the local sites'
server, which in turn links with a maximum of two clicks to any commonly
used sites on topic, maybe even with deep links to the individual sites
areas.

For example, 1000steine.de could be listed with a link to the home page
under "Eupopean Community Site", but also under "Discussion Forums" with
a deep link to the 1000Steine forum.

Small, but still recognizable logos of the individual sites and
optionally flags indicating the main language could also be employed.

As this umbrella should be a universal resource, commercial sites should
not be excluded. Only that they should be clearly marked as such, and it
should be no selling of advertising space, but a mark of regognition to
the companies involved, agreed upon by the board that organises the
umbrella page (I had such sites in mind as hitec.com, which sells
special RCX add-ons or technik-lpe.de, who sell DACTA stuff).

An important issue would be a very linear, straight-forward and
unclobbered design, although optional design features like bubblehelp
could be employed to deliver short additional information about the
target sites (mayby a magnifying glass icon next to the link to get the
help bubble?).

Well, just an idea that sprang to my mind...

Yours, Christian