 Administrative / General / 11324
Re: New homepage for LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 21:03:16 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Dwight Abernathy wrote:
   So what was all this about? http://news.lugnet.com/build/?n=14522&t=i&v=a

I have two words to explain why some people are getting disatisfied with LUGNET: “membership packet”

While we’re on this topic: To this day I have not become a member because I simply can’t get past having to enter my postal address into the enrollment form for LUGNET (presumably to get the mythical membership packet). I do not like to give out personal information willy-nilly, and it bothers me that this information is required for enrollment in an *online* community. I’m not interested in getting anything in the mail (I already get far more of that stuff than I need). Yeah, I know a lot of people are real lax in this regard (about giving away private info) and would gladly supply social security number, mother’s maiden name, drivers license, etc. to get logged on, but I don’t see it that way, not in this age of identity theft and hackable servers. So, as a rule, I try to give away as little personal info as possible, even if that means sometimes I have to forgo certain activities.

Mark (sorry for the rant)