 Administrative / General / 11285
Re: DNS outage, service restored
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 22:34:17 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Todd Lehman wrote:
My apologies to everyone who was unable to reach the server for the
better part of the past day.  I had thought the lugnet.com domain had
been renewed through 2005, but it actually was up for renewal this year,
with expiry on January 18.  Consequently, Network Solutions, the domain
registrar with whom lugnet.com is registered, disabled the domain
sometime around midnight EST this morning.  Around 1 a.m. EST I renewed
the domain through -- January, 2007 -- and DNS was restored at the top level.
Propagation through the Internet to all DNS servers, however,
appears to have taken many hours.  One of the last remaining nameservers
at pair.com (where LUGNET is co-located) has just received the needed update,
and service appears to be back to normal at this time.

You may have been able to see and access the website but unable to post;
this is because the server, internally, needs to be able to look up its
own IP address for various functions, and this was failing.

--Todd

Well, I do not say this much, but thank you for the heads-up, though I suspected
that something was indeed wrong in here.  I am glad that it was not me being
stopped, though.  I have never said anything wrong in here...at least, when I
was talking in here recently....which brings me to this question, why has my
post in response to Jeff Whatever his name is, the guy replacing Brad Justus,
not been on here?  Is it also because of the same problem or is it that some
special interests in here actually hate me?  If it is the latter, then that is
really immature.  I told the truth of what was wrong and if you hate it, then
too bad.  It was like I saw in school once on a poster that said, "Whatever is
popular is not always right, whatever is right is not always popular."  Well, I
would also like some updates as to that situation, too.  Thank you.

Jesse Alan Long