 Administrative / General / 11244
Re: ghost posts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 11 Jan 2004 18:32:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.test, Todd Lehman wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.test, Maggie Cambron wrote:
So i'm getting posts from as far back as 1999 in my email.  bet this
doesn't work though

Oh my, that's no good.  Hmm, the file that tracks per-group article
counts for outgoing email seems to have gone wrong -- it was actually
empty, which caused it to start emailing everything out again from
scratch (back to 1998, or whatever was the first message in each group).  I've
restored it from a recent backup, and the duplicates should stop
soon.

I think this is what prevented indexing of new NNTP articles -- it was
busy (re)mailing out every article that had ever been posted (to people
subscribed to news by mail).

--Todd

That sheds a little light on the subject. I was wondering what was
going on. I was trying to figure out if it was just bad dates in the
emails I was getting, but when I read the posts and threads they made
sense in the time context of  their respective date stamps.
Luckily I didn't get thousands like Jennifer stated. Just a dozen or so.
Hope it's fixed now.

Tim