 Administrative / General / 11079
Re: NNTP news server restarted
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 20 Sep 2003 17:58:16 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Todd Lehman wrote:
Due to what appears to be an excessively high load condition (more
than 20 times normal) last night the news server stopped accepting
NNTP connections and consequently also new messages (except for a
few system-internal messages posted at midnight EST).

I've restarted the processes that handle incoming NNTP connections
and posting should be able to continue as normal.

An update:  Although the above resulted in the server accepting
new posts again, it was still running an excessively high load.
The problem appears to have stemmed from someone in Toronto, Canada
running a script which was making (and still even now is trying to
make) multiple simultaneous, aggressive, CPU-intensive NNTP connections.
Anytime I killed one of these connections, a new one started up
instantly.  Consequently, I have blocked the offending IP address and
it is no longer able to make NNTP connections.  I apoligize for any
outage you experience because of this.

--Todd