 Administrative / General / 11026
Re: link labels
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 01:33:08 GMT

"Todd Lehman" <todd@lugnet.com> writes:

Chris,

:) Not to be picky, but actually, all of the URLs that Steve gave are
perfectly valid and legal URLs.

I understand the convention better now. Sorry, I haven't read any of the FTX
docs, since I'm not a big fan of web-based stuff when other formats place
less load on the server and networks, and are easier for me to use. I'm not
a URL and HTTP pro, but I do run my own website.

The confusion came from me assuming something about the new convention that
isn't true. That assumption was that the format was surrounding the entire
URL in angle brackets. I assumed that because lots of email and news postings
that I see surround URL's in angle brackets. I didn't do that myself in
the past, but have done recently - I assumed some software somewhere
preferred them that way. I've also seen many URL's on web sites that do
have spaces in them (usually in the final file name). So, I put 2 and 2
together, and got what I thought was 4, but actually turned out to be 7. :-)
Now that I know the convention, I won't have any further troubles, but I
do think its an unfortunate convention, if nothing else.

--
Experience should guide us, not rule us.

Chris Gray     cg@ami-cg.GraySage.COM
               http://www.GraySage.COM/cg/