 Administrative / General / 10699
Re: Unsorted lot of over 5800 pcs.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 01:51:37 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Frank Filz writes:
Jeff Jardine wrote:

Here's the link"

http://www.bricklink.com/auctionItem.asp?ID=1127147

This raises an interesting question. Where can you announce BrickLink
auctions. lugnet.market.brickshops is the defacto place to announce
BrickLink sales, so it would appear that BrickLink auctions would be
allowed. On the other hand, the TOS are pretty clear that auction
announcements are only allowed in groups that explicitly allow auction
announcements in their charter (currently only lugnet.market.auction).
It's also not clear that lugnet.market.brickshops is for sale
announcements.

At some point the bullet needs to be bit and the rules on market posts
need to be clarified and posted.

In the meantime, I suggest:

- auction announcements, no matter where the auction is held (eBay,
BrickLink, Yahoo, by mail, etc.) be posted only in
lugnet.market.auctions

- announcements of private sales and trades be posted only in
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, unless they are announcements of BrickLink
sales (but not auctions), in which case it seems acceptable to
cross-post to lugnet.market.brickshops (but not to cross-post to theme
groups).

- mention of sales at online and retail establishments that are large
enough that many people will be able to take advantage of the sale
should be posted to lugnet.market.shopping (your BrickLink shop might
qualify if you are offering enough copies of the sale item, otherwise it
probably doesn't qualify)

- the stated direction of Lugnet (but not yet reflected in updated TOS)
is to keep market related posts out of the rest of Lugnet.

There are certain circumstances where may be acceptable to post to a
lugnet.loc or lugnet.org group. Retail sales believed to be local
qualify, as do details of what you found in a specific store (like "I
just cleaned out the 5th Ave Target"). I believe organizations can
negotiate with the administrators to allow market activity in their
organization's group.

All of this should be taken as friendly suggestions from a concerned
citizen, not an official administrator.

FUT: lugnet.admin.general

I'm with you on all of this... *except* that I have felt since the beginning
that (and continue to feel that) .brickshops ought to be more like .theory
and be for discussion of the mechanics of BrickLink(tm) (and other venues
should any such arise), not for announcing sales. Thus, although .brickshops
is the defacto place to announce BrickLink sales, these sales properly
belong in .bst (or in .auction if they are auctions).

However given the existence of an internal set of discussion groups on
BrickLink, maybe it's time to give up that viewpoint? I'm not sure. If you
hew to that line of thinking it becomes MUCH easier to see where BrickLink
auction announcements belong.

If you don't hew to it, you open yourself up to needing to allow *every*
.brickshops post to be crossposted to either .bst or .auction. And most of
you know how I feel about excessive crossposting. :-)

As to getting this resolved, we may need to wait a bit more, I think Suz is
still very heads down on non LEGO stuff like recovering from the shock of
marriage, and buying a house and stuff.