 Administrative / General / 10641
Re: Polls with multi options
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 19:57:38 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Dan Boger writes:
I think the polls that have multiple options need to start with a default of
"NA" instead of 1,2,3,4,5,6...  Considering how much work is it to rearrange
all the different options, I'd bet a lot of people just move the one they
care about to the top of the list, and not modify the rest.  This means that
whatever option is SECOND in the poll, has an advantage over the rest of the
options.

I think the poll would produce more accurate results if all the options
showed up as NA by default, and you only rank the ones you cared about.

Great idea, Dan!

I didn't know how I would implement this at first, but it turned out to be
fairly straightforward by setting any "n/a" (shown as "---") options as
last-place ties.  Thus, if you write in 1, 2, 3, and leave the rest untouched,
then the rest all count as ties as 4.  This is done at the ballot-reception
level rather than at the ballot verification level, so that the ballot is
simply modified in situ and then passed on to the next step for verification
and tallying.

Anyway, this should be especially helpful for this week's CLSotW, which has
11(!) sites listed.

--Todd