 Administrative / General / 1049
Re: "the community"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 14:41:44 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, sparre@sys-323.risoe.dk (Jacob Sparre Andersen)
writes:
Todd Lehman (lehman@javanet.com) wrote:

2.  Host the Usenet groups in a mapped location of the lugnet.* ng
    hierarchy, for example:

       lugnet.usenet.alt.toys.lego
       lugnet.usenet.fr.rec.jeux.lego
       lugnet.usenet.rec.toys.lego

Why not just:

   usenet.alt.toys.lego
   usenet.fr.jeux.lego
   usenet.rec.toys.lego

Well, that's certainly a possibility worth considering, but it goes against
the new URL system where the newsgroup names [will] be isomorphic with the
website URLs --

   lugnet.x.y.z  <==>  http://www.lugnet.com/x/y/z/

I hope you will make sure that people are made aware that
(usenet.)alt.toys.lego is obsolete. Maybe by preventing
people from posting to the group?

Yup, I'd make it read-only, for sure.  :)  Then I would cross my fingers and
hope that the benefits in making it readable at all here outweighed the
drawbacks of making it readable at all here.  That is, any increase in ATL's
exposure/readership is indirect incentive for people to continue posting
there.  It's a no-win situation...

--Todd