 Administrative / General / 10435
Re: Does lugnet have the right 'look and feel'?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 05:20:48 GMT

In lugnet.general, Anders Isaksson writes:

As I _know_ what lugnet is, I can't see anything specifically wrong with the
start page, but maybe it's time to ponder: 'Does the start page reveal
enough of what lugnet is, and what it isn't?'

(I suppose this should have gone into lugnet.admin.general, so I'd better
FUT there before Larry does...)

Well, it's a little busy, but most portals are.   Maybe the better question
to ask is if the NGs are really what Lugnet is.

There's a lot that Lugnet offers, and not everyone might want to use the
forums or think they're that important-there's set reference and recommender
links to follow, so you have to have those too.  The NG top stories are out
there and highlighted, which is good enough.

For me, I find myself reading my own NG almost exclusively (rtlToronto) and
using the Set Reference, then reading the Top Stories to give me an idea of
what else is going on.  As a result, my usage pattern is different than
others.  Some might spend 95% of their time in genre specific groups such as
.trains or .space, and that's their view of what Lugnet is.  Another person
might just see Lugnet as a resource to figure out what pieces and sets they
have.  So it's hard to really design for a general case.

You could try some use case analysis and see what a large demographic of new
users are interested in.  But that takes time and energy, if not money too.

Overall, the usability and design of the site are excellent.  In my
professional career I haven't seen many better sites.

Calum