 Administrative / General / 10133
Re: Possible crawler-bot alert?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 00:34:03 GMT

In lugnet.general, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  Hi,

  I just wanted to ask if there's any evidence we've been visited by
  a spambot lately--suddenly there's been an enormous spike in spam
  (two or three a day, up from one every six months) to my .msu.edu
  account, which I *only* use to post here and have a forwarding
  set from.  It's possible that it could be an odd mailing-list sale,
  but because my address hasn't been responsive it's much more likely
  that something is out there farming email addresses.

Are you still getting the Edventures mail? Because they seem to have gone
more places than just LUGNET, I was getting their spam at all of the
BricksWest addresses (which I don't use to post anywhere, though they may be
mentioned in the body of posts). My spam has been way up lately too, but
then I still post to several Usenet groups...

  Is this possible, or are there measures in place to prevent this?
  Have others been noticing a problem, especially as concerns debt-
  reduction and cell-phone ads?  I do recall Todd having said something
  about ways that LUGNET's setup prevents webcrawlers from farming
  here.

I've never seen any correlation between LUGNET and my Personal SPAM
Quotient™...I'm fairly sure that we are secure from bots, but not the odd
determined True Life Person™ who is willing to sift through the posts and
copy-paste addys...

Matt