 Administrative / Database / 664
Re: Links to parts inventories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 03:58:36 GMT

   Hi all-

   This has been laying fallow for a while, but today I came to the
   web interface for the first time in a long long long time (I
   usually use Netscape's less-than-stellar newsreader), and thought
   about the utility of having inventory links for people who for
   whatever reason don't like running multiple browsers or newsreaders.
   So I headed over to the .admin.database group and went up to the
   search engine, because I don't want to post something that's been
   beaten to death already, and found only this kernel from last year:

In lugnet.admin.database, John DiRienzo writes:
  It occurred to me that it might be helpful if there were links to the
parts inventories to respective sets in the database.  It took me a long
time to learn that parts inventories existed and even longer to find them on
Lugnet (not that they were difficult to find, but I apparently overlooked
them).  For the sets that have inventories, a link could be made on the look
up page, like the links to the instructions scans.  Might be too much work,
but seems worthwhile to me.

   There were no responses at the time (I didn't even know this NG
   existed before tonight) but it seems like a good idea--and it
   would definitely lower the number of clicks and drags one must
   do for inventories.  It would also allow us an easy way to see
   if something has been inventoried or not--I was amazed to see
   that 3053 Emperor's Stronghold has not yet been done (I'll do
   it if I buy one Friday), because I was sure that it had by now.
   Moreover, it seems to me that it would be another great feature to
   hook those who just stumble into LUGNET, and IIRC it's something
   that no other set database seems to have done.  Much information
   here is considered public-domain, but I don't think anyone has
   yet culled all the set inventories and used them in that way.

   Is this something feasible, or is it just another pain-in-the-
   kiester request for our already-beleaguered admins?  :)

   best

   Lindsay