 Administrative / Database / 40
Re: Lots more images of sets added to database
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 16:19:09 GMT

Todd,

Great job!

I know this gets difficult when you're dealing with foreign languages and sets
with no years anywhere on them.

I have about 30-50 sets to add to this list.  How do I go about doing that?
Also, I have some additional info to add to some of these sets.  For example: on
set # 200 it asks the question:

Is this an Idea Book? Does "LEGO stadsplan" mean "LEGO town plans" in English?

Since I am knowledgeable in early LEGO, here are some of the additional info I
can add for this set for example:

What this is, is the LEGO Town Plan Board - it opens up to be a cardboard road
set with 9 city blocks.  It was available (somewhere in the world) from
1958-1968.  This is the Swedish version.  The U.S. version (Samsonite) was set
#246 and was available from 1961-64 (at $1.50).  The Swedish version was
available until 1968 (per Tore Erikkson's 1968 Swedish Catalog).  It was not
available in the U.S. or German Catalog that year.  I've seen this in the
British version on EBAY recently, and a Danish collector has the Danish version
from 1958 showing KKK and his sisters playing (I have this same scene in a
Dealers (Windows & Doors) Parts box).  This Town Plan Board comes in at least 6
different cover pictures, and at least 3 different road plans in the '50s and
'60s.  The entire early TOWN system (the first in LEGO) is based on building on
this board.

Anyway, I would like to help out (in a historical perspective) any way I can.

Thanks,
Gary Istok

P.S.  Also, it would be nice to have some kind of a duplicate set cross
reference for those sets that are available in Europe in one number, and in the
US with another.  New examples here are European sets 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50 --
these are sets 110, 111, 112, 113 and 114 in the U.S.