 Administrative / Database / 3427
Re: Add book to database?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Sun, 25 Jul 2010 05:20:17 GMT

In lugnet.admin.database, Samuel Christiansen wrote:
DK published a couple "books" last year that were essentially overpriced Lego
sets inside a cover.  I received the Castle one as a gift

<snip>

In lugnet.admin.database, Joshua Delahunty wrote:
I have both Pirates and Castle versions, and will be buying the Atlantis version
when it releases later.

I too struggled with how to put it into the LUGNET database.

<snip>

In lugnet.admin.database, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Have you considered using the ISBN? It's a lot of digits but it's a known
quantity.

<snip>

Took me awhile to get around to this.

I suspected that number would be FAR too large for a key in Todd's database, and
it turns out I was probably right.  The set number entry field stops echoing
digits after only 7.  There are 13 in an ISDN.

I use long integers for the set number key field in my database, so it (the
ISDN) never would have worked there, either.  The 8xxxxx numbers work there, but
I get into trouble in another area when defining a longer key based off the set
number (probably breaking about 3 rules you've expounding over the years, Lar
:-))

At one point, I think Todd was going for different values for the key versus the
displayed set number.  I doubt we'll ever see that.

(note that apparently there will be (is?) one of these for Star Wars as well:
http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Brickmaster-Star-DK-Publishing/dp/0756663113/ref=pd_sim_b_6
coming out in November)

I knew this, but Atlantis was next on the roster.

How did you handle the Star Wars book that came with an embedded minifig? ("LEGO
Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary", also by DK)

I have this book too. It hasn't to my knowledge been entered, either.

I was really hoping TLG was going to offer this items on their shopping site, so
I could kipe their methodology here. :-/

Technically, these are DK Publishing products, so tracking them in this database
might not really be our bailiwick anyway...

yeah, that's a cop-out that I don't like either.  :-)

     -- joshua