 Administrative / Database / 267
Re: What do the set numbers mean?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq, lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1999 21:37:21 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
In lugnet.faq, jsproat@geocities.com (Sproaticus) writes:
What is the meaning behind the Lego set numbers?  Do they really mean
anything?
Generally, they mean quite a bit, but there are a lot of exceptions.  The
full answer can take days to answer.  :)

Well, since it's for the FAQ, gimme the days-long explanation.  :-,

Are they all 4 digits long?
No, some are 1 digit, some are 2, some are 3, and at least one is 6 digits
(that's the soccer starter set: number 880002).

Ooh, good exception.  Thanks.

I know they're not all unique.  What examples of duplicated set numbers are
there?
According to the LUGNET sets-DB, out of 3,112 sets in the DB (and there are
still many old sets missing from it), there are at least 238 set numbers
which have been used at least twice:
[snip]

Cool, thanks for the analysis, Todd.  Should I quote the list verbatim with
a note of when the sample was taken, or will there be a script to pull that
info soon?

There are also examples of pseudo-overlap where the numerical values compare
equal but the string values do not.  [...]  Many of these oddities in
numbering come from the Samsonite era.

Noted.  Again, thanks!  :-,

And then there are the slash-delimited set numbers (recently discovered by
Joshua) such as 700/0, 700/1, 700/2, 700/3, 700/3A, 700/E, etc.

Do you know what theme or series were these from?

Cheers,
- jsproat

May the Force be with y'all.